Monday, August 31, 2009

Saturday Nied ght Dinner

On Saturday night my lovely wife and I walked back up to 23rd Street (between Eads and Fern) in Crystal City and ate at Cantina Mexicana. We were hailed off the street by the greeter who invited us to come in for "the best food on the block". Being fond fans of Mexican fare (from living in El Paso and Southern Cali) we gladly accepted the offer. We both wish we had not. The atmosphere was good and the place was certainly living up to it's name, until the food was served. The best thing on the plate was the frijoles, after that it was all decidedly bland. I ordered the Durango Plater which was two enchiladas and a tamale. The enchiladas were bland (plenty of meat and sauce, just no spice - at all) and the tamale looked like it was made with a little old lady with arthritic hands. I thought they had left it off the plate, but found it hiding under the beans. I take pills for my heart bigger than the tamale was in size.

Score - one star, and that is for the greeter who is successful in pulling numerous touristas off the street.

No comments: