Monday, August 31, 2009

Sunday Dinner

Sunday for dinner my lovely wife and I went to Mackeys on 23rd Street. Mackeys is not on the block between Eads and Fern, but is on the West side of Jefferson Davis Hwy on 23rd Street. Mackeys is a Public House in the Irish tradition so that is where I wanted to take my wife next. Being a Sunday evening it was not overly crowded (us and a couple of others) so we had the opportunity to relax and enjoy our dinner. We ordered the Shepherd's Pie - my wife had always wanted to try it and I wanted to compare it with the Shepherd's Pie I had eaten in Colonial Williamsburg.

It was a true Shepherd's Pie and the best I have ever had. Shepherd's Pie was designed to be a "refrigerator cleanout" type of dish, and this was it and more. We both enjoyed the dish, served with Irish dark bread and a glass of good wine. This was the type of dish we will eat again in Alaska when the temp is below zero outside and your need something to warm your insides. It was that good.

Seriously, if you are ever by the DC area, you have got to wonder down to Crystal City to enjoy the culinary treats along 23rd Street in Arlington!

No comments: